- Fresh, leafy greens in great quantity. These should be included in every meal.
- Vegetables that grow beneath the ground should be used sparingly, with the exception of carrots.
- All fruits and vegetables should be taken fresh whenever possible. Use tomatoes and over-ripe bananas sparingly.
- Avoid canned or preserved foods.
- The yoga diet includes a regular variety of nuts. These, however, should be boiled or steamed, and not roasted.
- Legumes, which is another name for beans, peas and lentils, are all good sources of fibre, protein, iron, calcium, zinc and B vitamins.
- Soymilk and soya products are an excellent source of B vitamins and calcium and should be included in the daily yoga diet.
- Make plentiful use of pumpkins, cucumbers, gourds.
- Whole grains.
- Drink a lot of (pure) water daily. Water (not cold!) may be taken with meals, but in small quantities and should not be used to “wash down” the food.